Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Figure Drawings

Things have been pretty busy lately but I'm making an effort to keep going to figure drawing once a week. Got to keep that habit up! Here's a selection from this summer so far:

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Memorial Park Pastel

At Memorial Park in Cupertino last weekend. It's a nice park except for the fact that they put big white plastic ducks in the ponds and it looks cheesy. I left those out of this painting.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Green Ninja Project

This past semester at SJSU I was lucky enough to get to work on the Green Ninja Project. For this project we made a film that was directed by my good friend Marty Cooper. This projet was sponsored by the National Science Foundation and is about a Green Ninja (Smokey the Bear-like character for conservation of energy) who comes in and saves Wally the Waster from using up excessive amounts of energy in his home.  I worked as a lead visual development artist doing layouts, color scripts, and painting. Here are a few of the environments I did that are used as backgrounds in the final film:

Outside opening shot:

 Another outside shot:

Healthy fridge shot:

This shot comes right after an almost empty, moldy fridge shot. The Green Ninja replaces all all the bad food with delicious healthy, environmentally friendly goodies.

This shot is difficult to show because it was a collaboration paint between Marty and I. However, I think the painting came out nice so I wanted to show it here. Credits to Marty are below.

This layout was done by Marty Cooper. Marty also painted the wall, floor, fridge itself, food on the entire top shelf, and the lettuce, eggs, and avocado on the second shelf (though I did touch-ups to all of those things). All the other food items were painted by me.

Lastly, here are a series of layouts I did where something goes seriously wrong for Wally the Waster and we cut farther and farther out from his house until we are in outer space. 

Finally, here is the link to the finished film. Enjoy! And congrats to the 40 or so people that worked on it throughout the semester...many many late nights were spent...